FROM MY JOURNAL: On New Year’s Eve, I stood waiting my turn in the express aisle of Hein’s Grocery Barn, flipping through the December issue of Teen Lifestyles.
The magazine reported: “76% of teenagers who responded to our Heating Up Your Holidays survey indicated that they had French kissed someone.“
Continue Reading Rain Is Not My Indian Name: Tasty Freckles »
- When Rain and Galen come home, covered in mud, from the construction site, what does Mama call them?
- What does Rain usually have for breakfast on her birthday?
- Who tells Rain what has happened to Galen?
- How does Rain react to the news?
For Book Talks Or Your Journal
The journal entry at the beginning of this chapter introduces us to Mama for the first time.
Continue Reading Rain Is Not My Indian Name: Broken Star »
- Who was the only person in town not to attend Galen’s funeral?
- Who read a poem?
- What is Rain’s relationship to Aunt Georgia?
- What program is Aunt Georgia planning to lead?
- Where is Grampa Berghoff?
- What does Bernadette Rae do for a living?
- What does Mrs.
Continue Reading Rain Is Not My Indian Name: Six Months Later »
RAIN IS NOT MY INDIAN NAME by Cynthia Leitich Smith, paperback cover by Natasha Donovan (Heartdrum, 2021). Ages 10-up. Also published by HarperCollins Canada.
Hardcover edition features a cover by Lori Early (HarperCollins, 2001).
In a voice that resonates with insight and humor, New York Times bestselling author Cynthia Leitich Smith tells the story of a teenage girl who must face down her grief and reclaim her place in the world with the help of her intertribal community.
Continue Reading Rain Is Not My Indian Name »
- Why did Mom first leave Oklahoma?
- How long has it been since Rain’s mom died?
- How much is Rain’s weekly allowance?
- Who cruises by the house, whistling at Fynn?
- What does Fynn do for a living?
- What does Aunt Georgia give to Rain?
- What color has Aunt Georgia dyed her hair?
Continue Reading Rain Is Not My Indian Name: My Not So Secret Secret Identity »
- In the journal entry, who is Galen planning to take to the dance?
- What was Mrs. Owen’s rule?
- What kind of food do Natalie and Fynn bring to Rain?
- Who is Hannesburg’s only known vegetarian?
- When Natalie and Fynn got engaged, who proposed to whom and how?
- Who in Rain’s family is a member of the Hannesburg City Council?
Continue Reading Rain Is Not My Indian Name: Moo Shu and Peace »
- Who does Galen say that Queenie is going to the party with?
- What does Rain tell Queenie the next Monday at school?
- Has Rain met Spence before the day at the park?
- What does The Flash look like?
- Which camp participant never appears in the story?
- Where is Aunt Georgia proposing as a road trip for the group?
Continue Reading Rain Is Not My Indian Name: Indian Camp »
- Who did Rain pick as the subject of her third grade class report?
- Who first gave Rain a toy camera?
- What room does Rain call “spacious, uncharted territory?”
- What kind of film does Rain use?
- What question is The Flash trying to answer about Native people in Hannesburg?
- What deal do he and Rain shake on?
Continue Reading Rain Is Not My Indian Name: Malibu Pocahontas »
- What kind of a bridge does Aunt Georgia want the camp participants to build?
- Does Dad approve of Rain’s decision to cover summer camp for the paper?
- What does Rain discover in her hope chest that makes her determined to work things out with Natalie?
For Book Talks Or Your Journal
Aunt Georgia tells The Flash that “mostly,
Continue Reading Rain Is Not My Indian Name: Her Mother’s Daughter »
- What has Marie done wrong in helping to construct the pasta bridge?
- What does Rain want to buy as a baby present?
- Why does Rain’s initial gift plan fall through?
- What does Queenie inform The Flash about the history of pasta?
- What does everyone find out about Queenie’s heritage?
Continue Reading RAIN IS NOT MY INDIAN NAME: Trailer Park Dreams »