1. Locate the passages that make it clear that Grampa Halfmoon is homesick. Have you ever been homesick? If so, what place and/or people were you missing?
2. List at least three ways that Grampa and Ray show they care about each other.
1. Describe in your own words what happened at the wedding.
2. Retell the events of “The Accident.”
1. What can you learn from Ray and Grampa Halfmoon about helping one another? Use examples from the text.
2. Can you think of other safe solutions for the pets in “Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner?”
1. Compare yourself to Ray. How are you like him? In what ways, are you different?
2. How would this story be different if it were written through the point of view of Grampa Halfmoon? Would it still be a children’s book? Why or why not?
1. What would you have done at the wedding? What do you think happened at the reception afterward?
2. Of all the stories told in this book, which do you think would be Ray’s favorite? What makes you think so?
1. In “The Accident,” Grampa Halfmoon doesn’t lecture Ray about his decision not to be in the contest. What does he do instead? Do you think this is more effective? Why or why not?
2. Choose your favorite chapter and answer these questions: Why is this story your favorite? How does it demonstrate how Grampa and Ray feel about each other? What is the best description? What is your favorite moment and why?