Enter for a chance to win:
- The Camping Trip that Changed America: Theodore Roosevelt, John Muir and Our National Parks (Dial), autographed by Caldecott medalist Mordicai Gerstein and author Barb Rosenstock;
- 11×14 framed poster image of President Theodore Roosevelt and naturalist John Muir, the book’s main characters, atop Glacier Point in Yosemite, 1903;
- a “grow your own” Giant Sequoia kit (boxed kit includes: seeds, starter pot, growing mixture and instructions);
- 15-minute Skype visit with author Barb Rosenstock.
To enter, comment on this post and include an email address (formatted like: cynthia at cynthialeitichsmith dot com) or a link to an email address. Or email Cynthia directly with “Camping Trip” in the subject line.
Author-sponsored. Eligibility: North America (U.S./Canada). Deadline: midnight CST Feb. 20.
From the promotional copy of The Camping Trip That Changed America:
Caldecott medalist Mordicai Gerstein captures the majestic redwoods of Yosemite in this little-known but important story from our nation’s history.
In 1903, President Theodore Roosevelt joined naturalist John Muir on a trip to Yosemite. Camping by themselves in the uncharted woods, the two men saw sights and held discussions that would ultimately lead to the establishment of our National Parks.
The Camping Trip that Changed America is a great choice for celebrating Presidents’ Day (Feb. 20, 2012) or Earth Day (April 22).
In a starred review, School Library Journal says: “In interpreting and recording both personal relationships and the historical impact of the meeting, this offering makes a little-known bit of history accessible for younger readers, and encourages further research.”
Kirkus Reviews raves, “Gerstein’s depiction of the exuberant president riding off with Muir is enchantingly comical and liberating.”
Interview & Book Giveaway: Barb Rosenstock on The Camping Trip that Changed America by Carmela A. Martino from Teaching Authors. Peek: “One day while looking at some Yosemite photos, I realized these men were opposites, and I pictured them as different kind of trees, which was key to having the book’s theme come together.”
Ongoing Cynsations giveaways also include (click link for details & to enter):
- an author-autographed copy of One Cool Friend by Toni Buzzeo, illustrated by David Small (Dial)(plus full-body penguin hand puppet and 15-minute Skype visit with Toni;
- Alex Flinn Six-Book Giveaway (2 autographed copies of Bewitching, Cloaked and the Deluxe edition of Beastly respectively (all HarperTeen);
- a copy of Ellen’s Broom by Kelly Starling Lyons, illustrated by David Minter (G.P. Putnam’s Son’s);
- two copies of Girl Meets Boy, edited by Kelly Milner Halls (Chronicle), signed by all of the contributing authors;
- two copies of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Dutton).