Now, Hunger Mountain, the VCFA Journal of the Arts, wishes to be a part of the conversation.
For the winter 2011 issue, I am compiling a list of quotes from authors, illustrators, agents, educators and parents to be included in a piece dedicated to the ongoing art and craft of the picture book. In 250 words (or fewer), contributors will be asked to focus one of the following:
- what the picture book means to them;
- why it is his/her chosen art form (whether artist or illustrator);
- why they work behind the scenes on bringing picture books to life;
- favorite memory of a book (could be one created by the author, illustrator, agent, editor or one read to as a child or read from to children);
- the evolution of the picture book–where one sees the industry going;
- why picture books are needed;
- the changing appeal of the picture book, nonfiction, or otherwise;
- the magic of art and text.
As the quotes will be short but numerous, Hunger Mountain, is not able to pay for the quote contribution. However, a link to a blog, website, as well as the contributor’s name will be included.
If able to contribute, please send (bahegedus at gmail dot com) your 250-word (or shorter) quote by Jan. 25.
The piece will run on the children’s and YA page at Hunger Mountain in mid-February.