Each year’s award will recognize a different genre, target age group, and imprint. This award includes a publishing contract for one winner–if all parties can come to an agreement. The award is for unpublished authors only.
1. age group: middle grade;
2. genre: mystery/adventure, who-done-it. (fiction only);
3. imprint: “Tire Swing” (our children’s-paperback imprint).
Each submissions package should include:
1. a book proposal;
2. a detailed synopsis;
3. a detailed outline;
4. an author biography (include email address);
5. the first three chapters (8 ½ x 11 double-spaced pages, 12-point font).
1. Our definition of an “unpublished author” is one with no previous full-length published book in the children’s or young adult market. Published short stories, poems, or magazine articles don’t count.
2. Only one entry per person.
3. If you make the first cut, you will have to be able to produce the completed manuscript immediately. So don’t enter if you don’t have a completed or near-completed manuscript.
4. Manuscript length should be between 18,000 and 40,000 words.
5. If you are the winner, you must be willing to promote and market your book to the best of your ability.
Submissions Dates and Mailing
Postmarks are as follows…
Submissions window opens: May 18.
Submissions deadline is: Oct. 31.
Again, please make sure your submission is not postmarked before May 18 or after Oct. 31.
Please mark clearly on the outside of the package “The Bloom Award.”
Note: All submissions will be read, but no material will be returned. All communication will be via email and phone.
Mailing Address: Blooming Tree Press, P.O. Box 140934, Austin, Texas; 78714.
The winner will be announced no later than Dec. 25. The winning book will be released each year on Mildred Bloom’s birthday – April 25. (The first release is scheduled for April 25, 2011)
Please submit any questions or concerns via The Publisher’s Life Blog.
Source: Miriam Hees, publisher, Blooming Tree Press.