Congratulations to author Dianna Hutts Aston and illustrator Sylvia Long for the much-deserved acclaim showered on An Egg Is Quiet (Chronicle, 2006)(author-illustrator interview), which was my pick for Cynsational Picture Book of 2006!
• Cybils Non-Fiction Picture Book Finalist;
• Child, Best Books of 2006;
• Publishers Weekly, starred review (March 6, 2006);
• Kirkus Reviews, starred review (March 15, 2006);
• NPR Science Friday, 2006 Science Books Picks, #1 Children’s Title (Dec 8, 2006);
• 2007 AAAS/Subaru SB&F Prize for Excellence in Science Books Finalist;
• The New York Public Library’s 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing 2006;
• Children’s Book Sense Children’s Pick (Summer 2006);
• North Dakota Flicker Tale Children’s Book Award Nominee (2006-2007);
• New York Library Association Book of the Season (Summer 2006);
• (Abilene) Texas Mockingbird Award Nominee;
• Junior Library Guild Premiere Selection;
• The Martha Stewart Show (Dec 14, 2006) Recommended as “a great gift for the holidays;”
• New York Times Book Review, Children’s Bookshelf (April 9, 2006);
• The New Yorker, “Goodnight Mush: The Year in Picture Books” (December 4, 2006).
More News & Links
Books I’ll Be Looking for in 2007 by Uma Krishnaswami from Writing with a Broken Tusk. See also More 2007 Books, also from Uma. Read a Cynsations interview with Uma. Listen to a new podcast interview with Uma at Just One More Book! She offers a really thoughtful discussion about the role of children’s literature in addressing war and peace. See also Uma’s Peace Page.
Houdini and Nate: a book site celebrating Danger in the Dark: A Houdini & Nate Mystery by Tom Lalicki (FSG, 2006). See art and text excerpts, Houdini Gallery, learn about the author, and more. Mystery fans, surf on by!
“I Am Not Making This Up” by Chris Barton at Bartography. An essay on truth, fiction, and non-fiction. Chris is the author of The Day-Glo Brothers (Charlesbridge, 2008).
Young Adult Author Janette Rallison: official site features biography, teacher support, Blog link, school visit information, links, etc. Rallison’s books include It’s A Mall World After All (Walker/Bloomsbury, 2006), Fame, Glory, and Other Things On My To Do List (Walker/Bloomsbury, 2005), Life, Love, and The Pursuit of Free Throws (Walker/Bloomsbury, 2004), All’s Fair in Love, War, and High School (Walker/Bloomsbury, 2003), and Playing the Field (Walker/Bloomsbury, 2002).