Sneak Peek for 2013 by Sylvia Vardell from Poetry for Children. Peek: “…here is my stab at my annual ‘sneak peek’ list of the poetry titles that
are scheduled to be published in 2013, thus far. Of course this is
subject to change with additional titles likely as the year rolls along.”
Diversity 101: the Transgender Perspective by Cris Beam from CBC Diversity. Peek: “…there aren’t just two genders—there are many shades of expression and identity and the earlier we can support kids who experience this, the better. And they do experience it early.”
Young Adult Author Corina Vacco: new official author site features biography, bibliography blog, links, contest(s). Vacco is the debut author of My Chemical Mountain (Random House, 2013) which won the Delacorte Prize.
Congratulations to Valiska Gregory, winner of the Jane Yolen Mid-List Author Grant, from SCBWI.
Cover Design 101: The Cover of The Awakening from Lee & Low Books. Peek: “…a couple looked too modern-day urban or romance genre (didn’t quite set
themselves apart as futuristic science fiction); another didn’t get the
full message of the book across in a way I felt the other concepts did…”
Green Earth Book Award Winners Announced from The Nature Generation. Peek: “…given to authors and illustrators whose books best inspire young readers to appreciate and care for the environment.”
Review of Minders of Make-Believe: Idealists, Entrepreneurs & the Shaping of American Children’s Literature by Leonard Marcus (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2008) from Harold Underdown at The Purple Crayon. Peek: “…the story of children’s book publishing in the United States from Colonial times to the mid-1990s. It’s the only book available on the subject, and it’s excellent.”
A Path to Publishing: interactive online video chat workshops with editors, agents and authors from literary agent Jill Corcoran.
Celebrate Black History Month
- Day 9: Veronica Chambers
- Day 10: B.A. Binns
- Day 11: Donna Washington
- Day 12: Alice Randall & Caroline Randall Williams
- Day 13: Octavia E. Butler
- Day 14: Ann Tanksley
- and so on…
This Week at Cynsations
- Secret Asian Man: Yoshi Kitahara and Feral Nights
- Follow the (YA) Reader: Feral Nights
- New Releases & Giveaways: Feral Nights, Eternal: Zachary’s Story & (Paperback Edition of) Diabolical
- Event Report: Austin SCBWI Regional Conference
|Enter to win book & a signed doodle by the author-illustrator|
|Now in paperback!|
- Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made & signed doodle by Stephan Pastis (CB); eligibility: North America
- signed copy of Feral Nights (Book 1 in the Feral series) by Cynthia Leitich Smith (YA); eligibility: North America
- author-signed copy of Eternal: Zachary’s Story by Cynthia Leitich Smith, illustrated by Ming Doyle (YA GN); eligibility: North America
- signed paperback of Diabolical by Cynthia Leitich Smith (YA); eligibility: North America
See also New YA in Stores, 2/16-2/22, plus giveaway of The Canticle of Whispers by David Whitley from Adventures in YA & Children’s Publishing.
Happy Launch Week!
|Don’t miss this preview!|
|Interview with Cyn on FN|
We’re celebrating the release of my latest books, Feral Nights (Book 1 in the Feral series), Eternal: Zachary’s Story (a graphic novel illustrated by Ming Doyle) and the paperback edition of Diabolical (Book 4 in the Tantalize series), all published by Candlewick Press.
Feral Nights also is available as an e-book. Vendors that sell Candlewick Press e-books include Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, and the Sony Reader Store.
|With Michigan author Shutta Crum & our husbands at Maudie’s, Too in Austin|
- Austin SCBWI Welcomes New Team
- Advice from E.B. Lewis
- Warning: Two Toxic Areas of Your Writing Life
- What Accent Do You Have? (I have a “midland” accent)
- Kidlit Authors, Illustrators Visit Sandy Hook Elementary School
- A Deleted Chapter from Anna and the French Kiss
- Winners (with Book Trailers) of the 2012 Cybils Awards
- Latest News from the Texas Sweethearts & Scoundrels
From Greg Leitich Smith
- Writers and Illustrators and Dinosaurs: Janni Lee Simner
- Montgomery County Book Festival Report
- Austin SCBWI Conference 2013
- Eternal: Zachary’s Story & Feral Nights Now Available
Cynsational Events–San Antonio, Chicago, Madison, Montpelier
|Come see me in San Antonio!|
Join Cynthia Leitich Smith and YA debut author E.M. Kokie at “An Evening with Cynthia Leitich Smith” from 7 p.m. to 8:45 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 28 at Alicia Ashman Library (733 N. Highpoint Road), open to the public and sponsored by SCBWI-Wisconsin. Event will include refreshments and giveaways! See more information.
2013 Novel Writing Retreat for Middle Grade and Young Adult Writers will be March 15 to March 17 at Vermont College of Fine Arts in Montpelier. Peek: “This year’s retreat will feature faculty Cynthia Leitich Smith, Lauren Myracle, and Candlewick editor Andrea Tompa.”